The sweltering heat has been the concern of everyone nowadays, and most moms are looking for strategies to cool their babies amid the intense summer heat.
My little shobe is having a hard time outdoors nowadays as anytime she is out of the house or the car, she does not only sweat beads and beads of perspiration — she sweats profusely you’d think she just came out of the shower!
But our little ones cannot just stay inside air-conditioned areas the whole summer! They still need to get out, and get active. At the same time, we parents should also have a respite from the sky-rocketing electric bills the summer brings. So–
Here are 10 Aircon-free ways to keep babies and kids cool this summer:
- Do not be afraid to strip them of their clothes! Those cute cloth diapers do not have adorable prints for nothing! Just make sure you have applied a safe anti-mosquito repellent on their skin before heading outdoors. Young kids on the other hand can just wear mesh-fabric or “aircon” sandos and light cotton shorts.
2. Bring out the pool or the batya. Not everyone has an access to a home pool or swimming pool in their clubhouse but every home has a batya! Set it up, bring out some bath toys and let them splash away! Just make sure to still use some baby sun screen on them, and that you or someone you trust watches them closely. Babies can drown even in small amounts of water.
(Post Continued Below)
You may also want to read:
- How pregnant moms can stay cool this summer
- How to lower your Meralco bill
- Where to buy Reusable Swim Diapers
- Where to Stay in Surigao
- Tips on Air Travel with Babies
- Philippine Passport Requirements for Babies
- US Visa Requirements for Babies
- Where to buy Amber Teething Necklaces
3. Bring out the popsicles. Whether it is a breastmilk popsicle or a fresh fruit popsicle or even store-bought ones, your little darling will surely enjoy the freezing coolness of this treat! Do you have an older child? Why not take it even a notch higher by making old-fashioned ice candy with your little love?
4. Hydrate! Make sure your littles drink up water and have unlimited access to your milk! This will ensure they are adequately hydrated, and the sweat they release is replaced and body fluids are replenished.
5. Frozen fruit for dessert. Skip the carb-filled cakes and meryendas and give your children frozen cut up fruits. Melons, pineapples, bananas, avocados, watermelons are perfect for freezing.
6. Cold water spray. Remember the Evian brumisateur? Make a homemade and baby-friendly version by just using cold water from the ref in a recycled pocket sprayer, and spray on to your little one to freshen her up. For you mama, you can use this recipe.
6. Fresh Juice Galore. If your baby or child is old enough to appreciate juices then you might want to serve them ice cold fresh juices like fresh buko juice, calamansi juice, dalandan juice, melon juice, and the like. Young kids will also enjoy almost-frozen smoothies using fresh bananas, mangoes, strawberries, avocados and the like. The milk or yogurt component will also help up their calcium consumption for the day!
7. Cold compresses. Freeze wet wash cloth, and offer it to your child when he or she feels too warm for comfort. Perfect areas for the compress include the neck and nape area.
8. Ask the pedi. Ask your pediatrician‘s advice if you can use baby powder on your child at least to help keep too much sweating at bay.
9. Multiple baths. As long as it is quick, there is nothing wrong with bathing your baby two to three times a day, especially before nap and bed time.
10. Get Native! Serve native icy Filipino coolers to your babies and kids, just go easy on the sugar. They will surely enjoy Mais Con Hielo, Halo-Halo, Saba con Hielo, and even Buco Pandan, or the usual Fiesta Fruit salad.
So there you have it I am sure there are other ways to cool babies and kids this summer without having to use the A/C. I promise to update this post as soon as I get to discover more. Hope you could drop by my Facebook page and hit the like button, so you can receive regular updates from Happypinaymommy.com direct on your newsfeed.
Thank you so much!
A Happy Homemaker is a Happy Pinay Mommy!
Leaving you with this video on making frozen popsicles: