School will be starting soon, and let us expect traffic to further worsen. And the sad thing about it is, even school children sacrifice. I came up with the idea of coming up with an article on Quick Breakfasts for Pinoy School Kids because breakfast sometimes get skipped just so kids wouldn’t miss their school bus, won’t get stuck in traffic with mom or dad, or simply be late for school.
I remember seeing our neighbor’s kid (grade three I think) looking so tired every time I see him. I got the chance to ask him, and he said he is just sleepy and tired — he wakes up at five because his bus picks him up at 5:45AM.
You see, kids can be exhausted in school given their activities, lessons, and horsing around with their playmates. To top it off, they have to wake up early to make it in time for their school bus pick-up. I am guessing that there could even be mornings when that boy neighbor of ours could be pressed for time to finish breakfast.
I know that this could pretty much sum up Metro Life for all of us. Even if the school is 10 minutes away by car, if your child is in school service, or you will be driving him to and fro, the traffic situation can immediately bloat that drive time by up to two to three times, making a 10 minute drive, a 20-25 minute ordeal. For a young child, who has yet to adjust to waking up early and eating quickly, that could be stressful.
The good news here is that there could be a solution to all these. As moms, we can still be able to prepare nutritious breakfasts that can be eaten quickly by children. Here are some easy to prepare breakfasts, that can equally be eaten quickly by kids before they head to school.
Quick Breakfasts for Pinoy School Kids:
- Oatmeal and Fruits in Season – Rolled oats maybe the choice of health-conscious mamas, but I think it is OK to serve instant oatmeal to kids during mornings when both of you woke up a little late to have a regular breakfast. Sprinkle the bowl of oatmeal with dried fruits like raisins and mangoes, plus some fresh ones like slices of banana to increase its nutritional value. Serve with milk or his favorite morning juice. Rustan’s Fresh and Shopwise has a healthy selection of dried fruits and Nuts which can be bought on a 100-gram minimum packs.
- Breakfast Cereal – Health Conscious Moms may again raise their eyebrow upon this suggestion, but when one is pressed for time, a mom has to do what she has to do. The key is keep a healthy stash of cereals in the house that you can dress with either their favorite yogurt, or fruits in season. Corn flakes and wheat-based cereals can be a good choice for this.
(Post Continued Below)
You may also want to read:
- Baon Ideas for your school child: sandwiches, preschool snacks, packed lunches
- How to get kids to sleep early
- Yummy Sandwich Recipes for Baon
- Happy Breakfasts for Kids
- Eight Recipes under P100.00 – 2016 Edition
- Kid-Friendly vegetable salads
- Where to buy Cheap yet good quality Bikes
- How to make Sidewalk Chalk
- Meryendas you can prepare with your kids
- Requirements for a Catholic Confirmation
- Local Party Resources: Where to buy DIY Party Supplies, Where to Buy Sweets for DIY Candy Buffet etc
- Pandesal (or whatever bread you have at home) and Healthy Spreads – preparing healthy spreads ahead of time could take the guesswork (and stress) out of this otherwise easy to prepare (and gobble up) breakfast for kids. Homemade Cheese Pimiento, egg salad sandwich, tuna spread, chicken spread, ham and cheese and the like. Do not punish yourself though if you choose to serve your child Peanut Butter and Jelly, Cream Cheese and Blueberry Jam, Butter and Strawberry jelly, or a fat cheese slice with their pandesal. In fact, they could even have nutella, finneti or crumpy or whatnot if you are open to that.
- Breakfast Smoothie – Nothing can be quicker to eat or drink in this case than a breakfast smoothie. Osterize/shake with their morning glass of milk strawberry, banana or avocado (or all these if possible!). This will at least fuel them up for the next two to two and a half hours, until they have their morning snack in school.
- Muffins or Banana Loaf Slices, plus cream cheese, jam, or cheese cubes – Buy fresh muffins from your trusted bakery or mall-based bread stores (TLJ and The French Baker all have big discounts when their shop is about to close), so go check out easy to eat, fresh bread or pastries there that can be reheated in your oven toaster in the morning. Even Julie’s, Fortune, S&R, Goldilocks, Grocery-based bakeries, and Red Ribbon offer fresh pastries that have less preservatives (they expire within three-to four days) compared to those pre-packed goods in the supermarket which can last for months.
So there you have it, hope I was able to add in to your arsenal of quick-to-prepare breakfasts for children. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and as they say, for the brain and the body to function fully in school it has to be fueled up with a nutritious meal.
Will be coming up with more posts like this to help all of us become more intentional with the food that we serve our children. If you have the time, hope you could drop by my Facebook page and hit the like button, or follow our Instagram account so you can receive regular updates from Happypinaymommy.com direct on your newsfeed.
Thank you so much!
A Happy Homemaker is a Happy Pinay Mommy!
Leaving you with a video on quick to prepare breakfasts for kids: